Sunday, November 15, 2009

Oh Summertime

Last I wrote I had gone to Chicago and heard about Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I enjoyed it and I think high school kids would like it because it reads like a novel and it is full of sex, horror, and unusual people. There is some controversy among academics about this book but I never read what it is exactly.

I did a bit more traveling in August to Ottawa, Canada, my first time to visit that beautiful country. I brought a couple of books with me but I only remember The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It takes place in Australia, so it has that wry Aussie sensibility. Someone killed a vampire and the Reformed Vampire Support Group, composed of vampires who no longer consume human blood and have vowed to never create another vampire, fear for their lives. The support group is run by a Catholic priest and he takes over organizing them to search for the culprit. This funny book has strong characters, witty diaglogue, and fast-paced plot with many twists and turns.

The food in Canada was great. My favorite local delicacy was poutine consisting of well-done french fries with melted cheese curds and brown gravy. Just recalling it now is making my mouth water. I may have to go to Trader Joe's to get some cheese curds. Mmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment