Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ice Cream and Dystopia

I'm reading Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness, the third book in the Chaos Walking trilogy. I received it in the mail as an advanced reader copy and I was soooo excited. It is not coming out until August. I loaned it to a couple of my boys at school who I know really enjoyed the first two volumes, The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer and they thought the conclusion of the series was satisfying and exciting. On the YALSA-BK listserv, one person commented that they put it down and did not finish it. I kind of get that reaction, because I'm finding parts of it slow. But now it is picking up and I can't wait to see what happens because there is a twist in it based on a character from the first two that I want to see what happens. (I hope I didn't give away too much!) I only get to read this book after school until I leave at 4 PM because I keep a book at school to read and then at home I'm reading Last December by Matt Beam. The picture on the cover is of a hockey player and I thought the book would be more about hockey but it's not. I know, I know, don't judge a book by it's cover! Kids ask me for hockey books from time to time and I thought I hit the jackpot at book evaluation where I pick up free books that I review. It's ok so far.



I read some recipes for ice creams in Vegetarian Times today that looked yummy but the last step in the recipes made no sense. It said to "freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer's instructions." The manufacturer of the ice cream maker, I presume but the ice cream maker mixes the ice cream. When I thought about how my ice cream maker works, I realized I guess it does kind of freezed the ice cream as it's blending it. Anyway, the recipes were for a dark chocolate caramel sorbet, a banana malted ice cream, and a creamy vanilla. I think the names of them were more creative and scrumptious sounding than I just relayed but you get the idea. I think I will be making one of these very soon; I just can't decide which one. I also have to wait until I have room in my freezer for the ice cream bowl because I have to freeze it first and then freeze the ice cream after I make it. Yummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment